February 5, 2011

A Dough Bowl


The Nester had a party, Decorating with Dough Bowls, or other found objects, so I thought I would link up to her party if I can remember what to do.  If not, I hope you enjoy my dough bowls and how they became a part of my life.  

The first one was a wedding gift.  I wish I could remember who gave it to us.  I wish I could remember lot of things, but I know it was gifted to us in 19 and 76, so we know it is an antique.


Right now I have it on the coffee table with my fake apples, but when pecans are in season, the mister uses it to hold his pecans before he cracks them open.   In the fall I put small gourds or pumpkins inside it and ornaments at Christmas.


This next bowl was my great grandmothers.  I feel sure it is at least 150 years old.  When it was given to me it was on stand with three legs.  The stand put the bowl at the right height to sit in a chair and work your bread or dough.


I have always wanted a "trencher" bowl, but they come with a steep price.  I saw one at an estate sale today for $125.00.   I found this trencher at the flea market about 10 years ago.  I was hedging big time, talking to the lady that was selling them.  She had a rack of them from $15.00 - $35.00.  I told her I really wanted an old one.  I wanted one with a story.  She must have got tired of me handling her trenchers, because she finally said, "honey, one day this will be old".   I gave her $20.00 and started my own story.


This 3-piece suit is not a dough bowl, but you put your dough on it.  Or maybe I should say, I put some dough down on it.  I found it San Francisco last Thanksgiving, while we were visiting the girls.  One day we went to Fisherman's Wharf and ate lunch at Boudin Cafe.  A must do if your ever in the bay area.  They have beautiful and delicious breads, soups served in bread bowls. Oh it is all so yummy!    This wood is light weight and so smooth.  I think it is so pretty.  The two small bowls are for dipping oil.  Sometimes we put olives in one, and the tray is for your bread and cheese.  We think we are all Fancy Nancy now.  And since we are talking all things wood, underneath is a cutting board my mister made for us.


However, there is nothing wrong with a small saucer plate for your dipping oil.  Actually, that might be more our style.


So goes my dough bowl stories.  To my favorite daughter, I love you and hope that you will enjoy these bowls in your home one day.

2 comments:

  1. i love the dough bowls. I want to hear more about your great grandmother. do you remember her? I miss you.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you

Popular Posts